Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's #&%*$ brilliant!

And Jim C says so, so it must be true.

Can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but for my senior's book, I want to include water from the Pacific, the Willamette, the Columbia, and the St. Claire, and also earth from S. Dakota and Sauvi Island.

I've been looking around for small vials for containers and trying to figure out ways to contain the vials in such a way that, if they should spring a leak, break, or some such thing, the water would not damage the book or other books near it.

I also wanted the water and the earth to be accessible such that you can 'hold' the water in your hands, or the earth in your hands, and not feel too removed from them.

I've gone through so many different iterations on this theme (including using diaper filling, or some other form of water absorbent material), and even when Jim finally said that he thought the containment method would be acceptable, things just never quite felt right. I suppose that's part of the reason why I've been procrastinating getting started on this book.

But NOW I'M READY!

As I was riding the bus today (there's nothing else to do on the bus but thinking up brilliant ideas), I finally figured out how to do it, and I can't believe it took me this long to think of it. Especially since one of my buddies is a papermaker.

So, drum roll please -- I'm going to have papers made with water from the 4 bodies of water and earth from those 2 locations. When you hold those pages, you will be holding the water and the earth in your hands.

It makes me want to jump up and down and shout IT'S #&%*$ BRILLIANT!

5 comments:

Michael5000 said...

That's very good! And very Shu-Ju.

But how do you pronounce that middle word?

fingerstothebone said...

That's the beauty of that word -- you pronounce it however you like, and make it fit your mood!

Andrew said...

Bravo, great solution.

margaret said...

Great idea. At first I was cringing about the possibility of spilled water in books. You know any container would fail. It just would.

Have fun paper makin!

gl. said...

i am late, but i want to say i love stuff like this. i'm so glad you thought of it and love it, too!