Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Pacific in my peanut butter jar!



The iconic Haystack Rock, above, and a couple and their dog, below. There is a dog in there somewhere...



The weather through the coast ranges was not pretty—raining cats and dogs in places and very foggy in the others. I wondered if it was really a good idea to go today, but figured that it wasn't going to get any better for another 6 months and so pushed on. When I got to Cannon Beach, it was actually relatively dry, just some mist.

However, it was very windy. And I had on the Good Prince's rain coat (the only rain proof coat we have between the two of us), which was of course giant huge on me and very billowy in the wind. I had images of me sailing through the air into the waves with the next gust of wind.

It must have been low tide, because it felt like I was walking and walking forever to get to the water, which seemed full of REALLY HIGH WAVES. The whole time, I was thinking, I hope my last thoughts are not going to be “what a stupid idea this was...”

Finally, I got out to where the water was and with the next in-coming wave, I scooped up the Pacific Ocean and quickly retreated back up the beach. My ankles got wet, but thanks to my water proof boots, my feet stayed dry, which was very nice. I was smart enough to bring extra shoes, socks & gloves, although what I really needed was an extra pair of pants. But it wasn't bad at all.

My plan had been to turn north towards Sauvi Island to pick up more water and soil at my senior's farm on my way back. But it was pretty dark already, and I knew no one was going to be home. The idea of rummaging through their barn in the dark seemed like a pretty bad idea—even though they knew I'd be there, their neighbors wouldn't necessarily know so. So I'll do that tomorrow in daylight instead.

So ta-da! The Pacific Ocean:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I read that you're planning to visit some farm in the dark, entire horror movie ran through my head! Glad you didn't do it.

What's wrong with the picture of the jar? The beach photos are a lot better, different camera?

Anonymous said...

woops! that was me, your sister forgetting to sign.

fingerstothebone said...

Nope, the same camera (my phone). But the jar was in low light conditions.

Michael5000 said...

w00t! Quasi-arbitary travel! It was like large-target geohashing!