Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baby's first drop-spine box

The Guild of Book Workers requires that the books you send for exhibition be housed in a drop-spine box. The last time, I got Andrew to make me a box for Fatherland, this time, Andrew isn't around for me to take advantage of, so I actually had to learn how to do this. So behold:



I downloaded a couple of sets of instructions, one of which claimed that it would take about an hour to make one. Well, I can't tell exactly how long it took me, but it was probably 3-4 hours, excluding having to go Art Media to get some book cloth. Not having a board shear, I had to cut all the boards with an exacto knife (and then cut some of them again). But overall, I think it went pretty well. The two sides fit exactly, although the inside is just a smidgin too wide for the book, which I can fix with a small strip of some board. The box just needs to be functional, it doesn't need to be pretty. And since the book is deeper on one side than the other (and plus the extra height of the mah-jongg tiles), I'll need to make a plinth or insert anyhow.

6 comments:

Dr. Russ said...

Not to be pedantic, but this is actually a clamshell box (which technically is a form of a drop spine box). A true drop spine box does not have the top tray.

In the future, if they don't specifically ask for a clamshell box, you can do a four wall tray and then use ribbon to tie the lid to the bottom of the case.

It is a much simpler structure to make.

Also, use a box cutter with a fresh blade in the future if you want to cut board. The heftier blade and handle will be easier to handle and easier on your hands.

Not being critical--just trying to be helpful.

fingerstothebone said...

I did wonder what the difference was between the clamshell & drop-spine, but since I found the instructions from 'reputable' places, I went with it. OK, so I have Baby's First Clamshell Box! But it was quite satisfying to finish the 2 trays and have them fit so well together. I kept playing with it -- open, close, open, close, open, close...

Yes, a box cutter! Especially now that I seem to be running Arthritic Fingers to the Bone...sigh...

gl. said...

i don't care what kind of box it is: it's beautiful! truly, those boxes are -so- appealing.

Dr. Russ said...

Absolutely, you did a great job. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It is a very satisfying project and a good one to have under your belt. Also, there are so many decorative options as well. For example, since the trays are not moveable, you can cover them with a corresponding decorative paper. You can line the tray bottoms (the part that actually touches the book with a decorative paper as well. The possibilities are endless. A couple of my handmade boxes are here http://nystarcards.com/id64.html

Dr. Russ said...

Also,
in the future, you might want to increase the height of the bottom tray (the one with the book in it) about an inch taller. You can then get some foam to lay on top of the book. This way, the foam will conform to the contours of the book and tiles and won't shift in the transporting of your book. Just an idea--russ

fingerstothebone said...

Foam! Yes! I might even have some thin foam that will work with it as is. That's a great idea. Thanks!