Sunday, July 26, 2009

Write Around Portland

A couple of months back, I was invited to print a broadside for Write Around Portland. I was thrilled to be invited and happily accepted. I was given a selection of 9 short pieces written by participants in Write Around Portland and I was to choose one to print. I liked many of the pieces and selecting one was difficult, but I ended up choosing A Shift in Focus. I don't have permission to excerpt it here, I'm sure, so I'll just say that the way she talked about how "...everything looked the same..." and then realizing that "the shift was inside me..." really resonated with me.

I finally started sketching out some ideas this afternoon, doing some research on images, etc.

More about the studio remodeling

The floor installer called today, and it was a good thing I wasn't planning on waiting for the floor before I started painting, since they're not going to install until August 1, a whole week away. If I paint now, I can be back to work by Monday, August 3. If I wait until after, I'd be out of commission for another 3-4 days after that. And I do need to start working on the broadside soon. It's due on Sept 4.

So here are the painted bi-fold doors installed. The green is actually much paler and not so minty green. The name of the color is called Avocado Essence, although it's not quite as yellow as I think of avocado colors.

No comments: