Saturday, December 02, 2006

Memorial service for Roxanne

Today was Roxanne's memorial service. I made a quince, apple and blueberry crisp for the dinner after the service and headed down to Salem. Rick put together a beautiful service, there were photos and videos and many people who paid lovely tributes. I didn't know Roxanne very well, and I'm sorry that I didn't. When they first moved out to Oregon, we saw them more, but as they got involved with the community and made friends closer to home, we didn't see them as much. Mike and I are like hermits ourselves, and tend not to be very social at all, so that didn't help. She sounded like an incredible woman, a well loved physician, very involved with the community and many social justice and political causes. After the service and dinner, some of us went out to their house and visited with the extended family. I didn't get home until late in the evening.

I had my one and only dream about Roxanne this morning. It was a real surprise, and it was a dream within a dream. I had woken up and fallen asleep again, and I dreamed that Mike and I were headed down to the memorial, he was driving and I was asleep and dreaming in the passenger seat. In this dream within the dream, Roxanne was sitting in front of me in the passenger seat and said "see, I told you there was a lot more room in this car than it looks". Then I woke up from the inside dream, and then I woke up from the dream.

No comments: