Saturday, October 28, 2006

Byzantine binding, coptic cover, Ethiopian dinner

Day One of the Byzantine binding class. Actually, we're doing an exposed Byzantine binding on the textblock with a late coptic cover...at least that's what I think we're doing; it might be the other way around.

It's the first time I've worked with leather, and it's so much easier than working with paper! I've never worked with book cloth, but I understand it's also harder than leather. It definitely has it's own pitfalls too, but my first leather covers are looking a lot better than my umpteenth paper covers already. We left them under weight to dry over night; I can't wait to see what they look like in the morning...they'll be perfect, but of course.

And for dinner, I suggested two theme eating places -- Greek or Ethiopian, there being no Turkish places in town that I know of. The group went for Ethiopian and it was a big hit with the out of towners.

Too bad I forgot to take pictures of the class.

No comments: