Thursday, January 15, 2009

No poker face, I

This last Saturday, before the wall came down, I had gone shopping for some flooring possibilities. I was considering either Marmoleum or Pergo laminate. I had already checked things out online and found a particular Pergo product that I liked (Bombay Rosewood). Anyhow, I checked out a couple of local floor places and when I got to Lowe's, I saw that Bombay Rosewood was on clearance, for 70% off!

OMG, I just had to jump! I was ready to just buy a bunch of boxes of the stuff based on my own estimates. After talking to the floor guy there and found out that they have to send someone out to measure for themselves, if I wanted them to install, which I did. And he wouldn't come out until after the wall came down!

So the floor installer came out yesterday to measure, and I waited anxiously all afternoon for Lowe's to call.

No call.

Today, I just couldn't wait any longer and went out to Lowe's. And those boxes of Bombay Rosewood were sitting on a pallet in the middle of the aisle.

This couldn't possibly be good news.

I was standing there and looking at this pile of MY, MY, MY Bombay Rosewood when a different floor guy came up and asked if I needed help.

"I was here on Saturday and saw this was on clearance and I had already checked it out online and liked it so I just jumped at the chance and the installer came out yesterday to measure and you should already have the paperwork but now all these boxes are sitting on the pallet in the middle of the aisle does that mean they're sold?"

The guy's eyeballs basically rolled backwards into their sockets and he said "hold on, let me check..."

A short pause.

"Yes, that's all been sold, on Monday."

I was so disappointed..."Oh, I just KNEW that would happen."

"Let me see if we have more of it in other stores..."

A LOOONG pause.

"Ma'am, I found some, in Idaho."

"Idaho? Do I have to pay shipping for that?" I mean, if I do, that just wiped out my 70% savings, probably.

"No, we'll eat it. We should've put it on hold for you on Saturday."

I almost started jumping up and down, I was so happy!

After looking at the paperwork from the installer and wrapped up what he needed to do, he stuck out his hand to shake my hand, but I was so happy that I just couldn't help myself and gave him a BIG HUG.

I said, "thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He said, "well, you just looked SO disappointed there..."

So not having a poker face has its advantages.

But here's a photo of the opened wall all trimmed up neat:



Oh yeah, and more good news—Laura sold one of my books on her last trip!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

ooo . . . loveliness . . .

Michael5000 said...

Ya big goof.

gl. said...

you could just leave the floor alone. i kinda like it. but it wouldn't have made nearly as good of a story.

fingerstothebone said...

bridge -- yes, disheveled but lovely...

gl -- I don't know, that carpet has been driving me crazy for the last 18 years, I think I've had enough. YOU can have it!

gl. said...

sorry, thought it had been torn out and was concrete underneath! we don't need any more carpet, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Got any of that bombay rosewood left over? I need a few boxes to finish a project!
-Mike

Acthirty@aol.com