Thursday, January 25, 2007

Calypso

I learned two things today --

No. 1 -- Get in the studio, and you shall be rewarded.
No. 2 -- Look things up, and you shall be rewarded.

I was really dragging my feet getting into the studio today. Partly because I was just tired, but also because when I left the shadow book, I was kind of stuck. After much hemming and hawing and doing all kinds of non-essential chores, I finally got into the studio at 3:30pm.

For lack of better things to do, I read over the text that people had sent along with their eye shadows, and saw that one of the shades Giao had sent was called Calypso. Now there's a word I've been meaning to look up for ages, not knowing the origin of it (I thought it was a Greek island). So I did just that, and I was rewarded for my efforts.

Calypso, a sea nymph and daughter of Atlas, falls in love with Odysseus, who is of course already married (to Penelope)! On top of that, the Latin and Greek meanings of the words (Calypso, Kalupsō) mean to hide, to conceal. To make secret!

How perfect is that! So now I have a title for the book (Calypso), a cover design, and something that unifies the 2 parallel story lines.

Also, I'm thinking that I'd use the eye shadows just as they are, ie, not mixing in the egg medium, thus allowing the colors to smudge over time. At least some of it. Also, I think I'll do graphite drawings on the back; I'll smudge and smear those too. I'll use graphite paper to trace each of the drawings so they're more or less the same for the entire edition.

No comments: