Thursday, January 04, 2007

What a busy day...

This was a productive day doing all kinds of art related stuff, but no time in the studio. Had some correspondences dealing with the book show at PAN, set up a blog for Portland Open Studios (which won't get going probably for a little bit yet), and went in and met with Barbara in person. Then I did the First Thursday thing, because I have some pieces at Rake Art Gallery.

And what a fantastic show Jeremy put together for Rake! I was blown away at the entry by 4 giant figurative drawings by Samantha Wall, whom I didn't know. I hoped for an introduction, but by the time I finished talking with Susi Bennett (another wonderful artist whose studio I hope to visit later in Jan), she had disappeared. Jeremy told me to go walk around and come back later, which I did, and that was good advice because Samantha had come back and we met up. Turns out, she's Korean-American, talented, and lovely to boot. And, she liked my work, too, because she came up to me to introduce herself. So how wonderful is that!? You can see her work here.

It was a good gallery walk tonight -- learned about a material that I hadn't heard of before, Sintra, which I though Rachel might be able to use for what she wants to do for the Rake show next month. Found out about the Jordanian printmakers show Barbara is planning for April, and fortuitously, there was a printmaker at Blackfish who has a series of prints of Iraqi Abu Ghraib prisoners that he interviewed at Amman, Jordan, and he's looking for opportunities to show them. Maybe two and two can go together and something can be done in conjunction.

Ran into Horatio and found out he's about to leave for France to teach for a semester!

The Portland Art Center show is wonderful too. A young artist has an artist book there, so I've asked her to email me some images.

No comments: