Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Grant writing workshop, session 1

Tonight was the first session of the grant writing workshop with Carrie. I think she was a little flustered at the beginning, having always worked one-on-one before and not with a group, but she got her footing after a while and it was a good session. I learned a whole lot. But of course I knew nothing to start out with. I didn't get very far with the writing that we had to do in class, but I'm never that great at command performance stuff, whether its writing or something else, so I'm not too worried. We'll need to send in our 1st draft for critique by the weekend. Timing is good, as I'm winding down with this last painting for the show.

So this is how far I got today. I'm liking that the moth is better defined, although it needs more work. I'm liking the one leaf draped across the right wing, like a bandage, or maybe a graft of some kind. It doesn't look too different fromt the previous picture, but there are some subtle differences. There's more texture in the green background & the leaves, there's more definition to the edges, more definition in the moths.

When I was generating the image, I accidentally zoomed it way in and I really liked the pixelated effect of the details, so I made a copy of that (you'll need to click to see the large image to get the full effect). Maybe I'll have to do something with that.

No comments: