Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sleeping beauty is not quite revived

No, I haven't fallen down a well, nor have I gone on a whirlwind trip around the world. Instead, I've been in bed, more or less continuously, since last Thursday night. I can't breath, I can't talk, I can't keep my eyes open for very long, nor can I stay upright for very long. I guess all that reorganizing did me in.

On the bright side, I finished The Crimson Petal and the White, which turned out to be 35 disks and not 41 as I initially advertised. It is 42 hours of recording though. Don't ask me where I got '41' from. An interesting story with lots of well imagined female characters, but all but one of the men were insufferable jerks; and the one who's not is totally dysfunctional. So even though the book does not end on a tragic note, it seems like quite the tragic story. And if I had one complaint against the book, actually, I have two, that would be 1) the last 1/3 of the book really bogs you down, with more of the same without really moving the story forward, and 2) surely, there must be SOME Victorian men who were decent AND functional beings?

Back to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get well soon!