Thursday, April 24, 2008

MiT, 1st senior, day 12, 3rd senior meet & greet

I met my senior #3 today, and she's a painter. And her husband (who's passed away) was a photographer. She sounded excited to be able combine images from her assortment of photos of her work and his work. We have our first print date next Monday, and sounds like she'll be very prepared...I hope.

My first senior was very lively today. Her family took her to visit the museum, and she must've REALLY enjoyed the exhibits, even though she couldn't remember what exhibits she saw. This was our conversation this afternoon (paraphrased):

She: "Oh, I went to the museum, and it was just wonderful. Have you been there?"
Me: "Not for the last couple of months, but yes, I've been there."

Then we paint, while this conversation repeats a couple of times. Then,

She: "Oh, I went to the museum, and it was just wonderful. You must go see this exhibit."
Me: "Sounds like it, you must've really enjoyed it."

Then we paint, while this conversation repeats a couple of times. Then,

She: "So, when are you going to see this exhibit?"

So now I'm committed to see this exhibit before we meet again next Thursday. Fortunately, I'm already planning to be in town to hang a show next week, and should be able to stop by for a visit.

And here was another funny conversation this afternoon. We were talking about someone she knew, and she was forgetting a word that she was looking for. She drew a circle on the top of her head and said, you know, what men wear on their heads.

Me: "Yarmulke?"
She: "No." And she kept on drawing the circle on her head.

Me: "Bold spot?"
She: "Yes!"

On the art front, I was able to persuade her that her 2nd painting was finished, and to work on the next one. She agreed, and we both thought she should perhaps loosen up a bit and just play and not worry so much about constructing a scene. I think she gets too hung up on that. So she started just putting colors on the paper and for a while, stuck to that. But then 15 minutes later, I looked over, and whoa, there was a tree on the left again! There's something about that tree...

In the evening, met with my critique group and showed them the new 'envelope' like pages I've mocked up, and everyone liked the idea. So more refinement, and I'm going with it.

Tomorrow's my board retreat (at our house!), and I haven't even cleaned up the dining room table yet. So I best get off the computer!

No comments: