Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MiT book...so close yet so far!

OK, I trimmed all the paper for senior #4's wrap/container, glued one up, and I'm not sure that I like it! Of course, I have all 20 of them trimmed, scored, and folded already. And NOW I decide that I'm not sure I like it.

So here's my problem—the book is a palm leaf book, which means there will be a string/ribbon/thread of some sort for the binding itself. At each end of the string will be a mah jongg tile bead. To close the book, you wrap the string around the pages, which in this case are the laminated prints.

When closed, the book will have its lumps/bumps/beads and will need a loose fitting container. And since the binding itself has a string/ribbon/thread already, I don't want to use another string/ribbon/thread for the container for closure, so the container was designed to have a flap that was heavy enough that it would just lie down flat and stay closed. I'm not a box maker, so I designed something that was more or less like an envelope, only 3 dimensional.

And the important aspects do work, ie, the flap does stay closed and the book fits loosely, but maybe a bit TOO loosely. I don't know. It just feels sort of sloppy.

I just went back and looked at it again, and it may not be so bad as I was thinking. Maybe after I get some sleep it will look much better tomorrow.

In the mean time, here's the graphics for the cover. It's supposed to look like the white dragon tile (aka the soap tile), only with her name in it:

After a bit of research, I saw that the white dragon tile (basically a box) can vary quite a bit from set to set. Some of them are very fancy. So I made my a little on the fancy side.

No comments: