Saturday, November 11, 2006

More big dreams, and some reality

Reality first. Today was the Portland Art Center show reception. I admit that I didn't make a big effort to invite my friends, I just handed out the postcards to people as I saw/met them. It was pretty quiet, more or less what I expected for a Saturday and out of the main gallery loop opening. There were maybe 50 people through out the afternoon, a steady flow but never very many at a time. There were two people whose work I really liked, but the rest were pretty uneven. They're all very enthusiastic though, so you have to give them that. The organizer is very focused and enthused, ambitious, and really seems to know what she wants, so I hope she finds her niche with what she's doing.

Now the big (bigger) dream -- I looked at the main floor today, and thought about the added on 2nd floor, and realized that the space would probably be way bigger than I'll realistically use. Then the light bulb went off...I can rent out the extra space, either as a rental studio to another artist, or maybe a day-use studio for classes. How is that for a good idea.

And more reality. I was reading the Kiki Smith interview in the NYT magazine today, and she's only in her 50's, something like 52, or maybe it was 56, I don't have the article in front of me. That's only 6-10 years older than me. How depressing. For all that she has done, I always figured she was getting up there, but I guess not.

No comments: