Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Something new and something old

I had a bit of trouble sleeping last night, I kept on thinking about where I was going with these new paintings. Trying to come up with titles for them is actually a good exercise, it forces one to look at where these were coming from, and where they might be going. Most of the time, the answers to these questions are not obvious when I start a new painting. Once in a while I figure it out while I'm working on a piece, but mostly, I don't figure it out until after I'm finished or almost finished.

So I started the new piece today and here's how it's starting.





But I couldn't help it and went back and worked on the old piece again (while the new piece was drying). I think the decision to remove much of the red down the middle was a good one. It's not so glaring anymore. I'm slowly glazing it with a very watery pale turquoise. For some reason, this is reminding me of those old Chinese embroidered robes.



OK, tomorrow, I've got to do some admin stuff -- clean all the pieces going into the Hillsboro show on Friday, get my stuff together for Laura for the Sense and Sensuality show (she wrote tonight to ask where everything was), and get my stuff together for the show at Rake in June. I may not get any studio time tomorrow.

No comments: