Wednesday, April 11, 2007

When a tree falls on a house..., part II

The tree removers showed up this afternoon and provided some entertainment. It took them about an hour to remove some of the lower limbs and bring the tree down. After that, I stopped watching, but I noticed that they were just finishing up a couple of hours later.

Here it is, with the lower limbs removed; he's cutting a notch on the side of the tree. You can't see, but there's a chain tied around the tree and is hooked to the back of a pickup truck. They're going to pull it down, to the right, in theory.



I snapped this just as the tree first snapped (haha, that wasn't intended); you can see that the top is now falling to the right. At this point, I decided that I really didn't trust these guys enough to stand out there and keep taking pictures, so I retreated back under the eaves of the house and did not get THE picture of the tree in mid air. They sounded really disappointed that I didn't get THE shot, and that it wasn't video.



But they did alright. The tree fell squarely in the middle of the road. No plants were hurt (well, except for the poor tree). Here he's giving his partner the thumbs up.

So that was a perfectly good time waster.



I checked on my dandelion leaves this afternoon, and they're nice and flat. They'll make good models for the painting that I'm now anxious to start.



Spent the rest of the afternoon working on my part of the critique group collaborations. Last time we met, I came home with Alex's 'golden handcuffs kit'. I liked the painting part that I did with it, but the gold-leaf, I'm not so crazy about. But, I'm not going to fuss with it, it's time to pass it on to the next person and see what they do.

No comments: