Saturday, March 29, 2008

MiT, 1st senior, day 9, 2nd senior day 10

I'm still not sure what I think of meeting with both of my seniors on the same day. On the one hand, it's fewer trips, and also it means 2 days a week I'm there, leaving me 5 days to myself; on the other hand, it's pretty exhausting. I was so tired and out of it by the time we wrapped up this afternoon that I came home without loading the equipment up into my car, leaving them all sitting by the front entry way at rsm — it was another day where I had to park in the lower parking lot, so I signed out and carted all my equipment out by the curb before I went off to get the car. But then I just got in the car and drove off! Fortunately, the story had a happy ending.

My rock star senior made more prints from her watercolors today, and also another verse. There are enough prints now that I wonder if the current model will still work, it might be too bulky. She's doing some beautiful florals in her drawing/watercolor class and we've been able to use some of the images. She's also been working on watercolors on her own, making images to go with the verses she writes. She's very positive and creative — today, she discovered a spelling error on a verse that we had already finished printing. Ten minutes later, she came up with a solution to 'disguise' the error and to make it more like a puzzle that a reader would have to solve.

My 1st senior is the polar opposite, although she seems to enjoy our time together doing watercolors, if she's made the colors blend, then she wants them not blended; if they're not blended, then she wants them to blend. In short, whatever it is that she's got, she wants the opposite. As a result, she has spent hours working and reworking the same pieces, going back and forth and back and forth, never satisfied. If she's asked me to scrub out some lines that she doesn't want, you can be sure that in another half a minute, she'll ask how she can put some stronger lines in. I'm not really sure how to deal with that, other than to just let her proceed, which is my current plan. She did produce a lovely watercolor during our first session, and she's very fond of it, she's not been able to complete anything since.

1 comment:

gl. said...

what a neat dichotomy! it will be interesting to see what happens as you get more participants.