Monday, November 26, 2007

New toy...oops, new tool

So I went out and bought a Serger today. Even though I decided serging the tulle was not the right thing, it will still be useful for finishing the pillow books nicely. I didn't go the ebay route with this, since I really need the machine as soon as I can, and I already got some demos at the sewing machine shop, so I figured I owed them the business. It's an used Jenome 204D. Afterwards, I searched on ebay and found new ones for just $20 more (and free shipping too), but doesn't matter. I have it in my hot little hands now. Plus I get free lessons with the purchase. Not sure that's necessary, but I guess I'll give it a try. I do also have some other projects that I can use the serger for, so it will be a welcome addition.

Looked at more fabric for the pillow books. Not sure why I didn't consider wool before, but found a nice piece of medium weight, medium gray wool remnant that would work nicely. Also bought some medium weight gray silk.

As I was going through the accumulated emails from the last 10 days or so, I discovered one from Bonnie about a local clothing company giving away some black and gray fabric. Now that's news I can use! Hopefully I can arrange for a visit to the warehouse to check these out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how the serger works out. Yay toys! Oh, what I really meant to say is - Yay tools! (Frenglish is my first language after all...;) Have fun!

Michael5000 said...

I will try not to feel threatened by this incursion into the needle arts.

Amanda said...

Just a message to michael5000 - you don't have to feel alone in your fears of the needle arts...I had to look up "serger" on wikipedia! (And I'm female)

Bridget said...

Ooo! Sergers! Love 'em, hate 'em. Mine is about twelve years old and not a Babyloc. It worked great for several years, but now the tension goes wonky if I even look at it sideways. And I've had it cleaned, adjusted, massaged, and exorcised. I've been thinking sometime next year I may just break down and get a Babyloc.

MK5: Do not be threatened. Your status as male quilter is still solid (does fingers have cool quilting gloves? does she know what quilting in the trench, I mean the ditch, means?), and I think finger's dogme is probably even different from yours . . . .