Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Pillow Book I, day 1

No, it's not that kind of a pillow book.

These are the books I'm making for the Tennessee show next Jan; they'll be printed on tulle and sitting on pillows. I did the prep work yesterday -- taped the tulle to sheets of newsprint. From my first experiment with printing on tulle, the tulle came up with the screen every time, so I was hoping that taping it down to the paper would prevent that. And it did. Here's the pile of them:



The screen is half inked up. I decided to use the silver ink, to go with the gray silk that I'll use to edge the tulle pages, and also for the pillow cases. Gray was chosen initially because 'gray matter' = brain, but I also now realize that 'gray' & 'silver' are often used to describe the hair of the elderly, who are the majority of those suffering from memory loss.



Here's a print on paper:



And here's the screen after I finished printing and scraped up the ink. I did not clean the screen, I wiped up the extra ink and I'm letting the screen dry with the ink on there. I think I'll use these screens for part of the project. How, I'm not sure yet.



And this is the mylar that I put down on my lightbox so I could photograph the screen, and I'm really liking this. I'll see how I can us this as part o the project too.



And here's a sheet of the printed tulle...hard to see that there's anything on there! I peeled up the tulle and held it up to the light, and yes, it's on there. Hopefully, when everything's dry tomorrow, I'll stack them up and the image will actually be visible. Some are more visible than others, which is fine; I'll use the less visible ones as the last pages.



On other fronts, worked on Shane's web site. Have the initial layout done; now I wait to get some feedback before I put much more work into it.

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Cool.....

Jan said...

I love your blog! So interesting. I love this idea. Can't wait to see more.