Sunday, June 17, 2007

More on other artists

I guess that's how you can tell that I'm not crazy busy right now, I'm actually getting out to see other artists. Suzy Bennett invited me out to Corbett to see a show (in a barn!) of her and 2 other artists' work. I didn't know what to expect, but what a treat! Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera, and it was pretty dark inside the barn. These are from my phone. Here's the barn:



One of the artists, Joseph Schneider, makes collages and sculptures from found objects. And this is an altarpiece above the staircase as you are walking up, and you see it as the stairs make a 90 degree turn:



And here you're upstairs, and these columns reach up to the roof of the barn:



Here's a detail of the columns:



A dome above the staircase, right where it makes the turn:



Here's the really neat project, The Doll Cathedral -- a Gothic cathedral made of Barbies, Kens, GI Joes, etc. You MUST go there and read about how this project came about. It is estimated to be completed in 2012. You can donate old dolls too. And here's his homepage, with more images of the cathedral and also his other work.

Got back to Portland in time to go to Katy McFadden's open studio. Her garden is, as always, fabulous, and her sculptures are wonderful. I don't see how she can keep up with the amount of work she gets done AND keep her garden going too. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures today. I did get there pretty late.

No comments: