Tuesday, February 12, 2008

MiT, 2nd senior, day 2

My 2nd senior ROCKS!

When I got there today, she had already made b&w copies of several different things she was thinking about gocco'ing. She was also thinking about the words she wanted to layer on top. Then the two of us spent the rest of the afternoon gocco'ing 2 prints. *I* was tired when we finished, and she seemed a little worn out. She was cheerful and interested, and very inviting and open.

Now, I did start the day pretty tired — I stayed up until 2am last night/this morning, working on the screen for the guest bedroom, which was why there was no entry from last night. I'm almost finished, just need to hem. It's starting to look like, hmm...how shall I put it...option 1) a Bollywood bridal chamber, or option 2) a belly dancer exploded in here (as the Good Prince likes to say about my home decorating style). I practice the One Thing Leads to Another style of sewing: something doesn't quite work, so you do something else to hide it, and pretty soon, it's embellishments everywhere.

And you know things are getting serious when a project you meant to do almost a quarter of a century ago is now getting to the top of the stack. (Yes, it's a stack and not a queue.)

When I left graduate school and started working, I furnished my apartment for $300 — a used bed, dining room set, sofa sleeper, chair, and a smattering of leftover college dorm room shelves. (It's true I did buy a brand new mattress for another $xxx.)

Here's the chair:



Bought it from a woman about to move into a retirement home; it, and its companion chair, were part of her wedding trousseau from 1940. I figured I'd use it for a couple of years and reupholster it. So that was 1984...

It's in a much sadder shape than you can possibly see in this photo. The piping has mostly worn off, exposing the ropes underneath. I think various rats and ferrets have done their deeds on there too. I've mostly used it as a studio 'comfy' chair in recent years.

Anyhow, all this redecorating had me thinking about this chair again and I dropped by The Whole 9 Yards yesterday. Picked out a few samples, and now I'm in a quandary — my most favorite fabric is just so nice that it would be a shame to use it for a 'studio comfy chair', unless I want to go with the I'm Worth It! route. It also happens to be the most expensive, by far. But the 2nd most favorite doesn't even come close to how much I like the first favorite, although it's nice enough, and it's fair amount cheaper.

I almost want to put off the decision, but then it might be another 25 years before I get here again.

And advancing along in the Cat Box Relocation Program: I moved the new box into its intended position, filled it with fresh litter, and put some of her 'stuff' from her existing box. Brought her to the box a bit after I fed her and, nope, no interest whatsoever. She did give it a good sniff and looked kinda puzzled.

7 comments:

gl. said...

YOU'RE WORTH IT! and so is your studio. :)

i think you're right; if you don't do it now, you won't do it later.

fingerstothebone said...

gl — yeah, I was kinda leaning that way too. Although I might wait until the dust settles from the Bollywood Bridal Chamber makeover, what with the new furniture and window shades already on their way.

Anonymous said...

Would it be too arrogant to assume that I am the inspiration for all these cleaning, decorating? BTW, I can't believe you still have that chair! Anyway, I think not only you worth it, the chair worth it, too. It's practically a museum piece by now.

Shumei

fingerstothebone said...

I don't know if 'inspiration' is the operative word! The cause, yes. Although, Steve & bride (you remember Steve?) are coming for a visit in March. They're just staying for a week, so it would've been ok to put them in the studio for a week, but I decided to strike while the iron is hot and just get it all done and over with already.

The kitty is still all spooked about the cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Remember the name but can't make any connection. Enlighten me!

Shumei

fingerstothebone said...

Mike's brother, who said you reminded him of Woody Allen! Or maybe he reminded you of Woody Allen...I can't remember now.

Anonymous said...

Is that suppose to be a compliment to either party? One thing I do remember about him is the arm flapping session on his music instrument.