Wednesday, February 20, 2008

MiT, 2nd senior, day 3

Well, my 2nd senior rocks BIG TIME!

When I got there today, she was waiting for me by the front door, to give me a hand with all my equipment. That made me very happy, that she was looking forward to it enough that she wanted to help.

We got started right away. She had the texts she wanted to layer over what we did on day 2 all ready to go. So it was just a matter of making a b&w copy and then going to it, which she did. Then she had more images prepared for her 3rd print, so we printed the 1st layer of that, too. I'll be back tomorrow for the next step.

We sat around and chatted for quite a while after we finished printing. Part of it was just that I was too exhausted to think about carrying all that equipment back to the car right away, and also, we don't talk much while we're printing, so this was a good way for us to get to know each other. She's got such a great personality...if she were a weather condition, she'd be a sunny day with scattered clouds, temperature in the low 70's. And not humid.

She speaks wonderfully of everyone, adores her kids and grandkids, and was pretty enthusiastic when I told her about the coming visit of my sister and nieces.

On other fronts, I sold the sofa! For a lot less than I was hoping for, but it was good to get it done. And they were immigrants, so I was happy to give them a break. And they called when they said they'd call, and showed up when they said they'd show up, which is a lot more than what the first 2 callers did.

It was kind of sad to see it go though. It was the first new piece of furniture I bought. I seem to be getting rid of a lot of 'first new' items recently. The Good Prince was a little worried until I reminded him that he was gently used when I got him.

About that exhaustion, and why I skipped an entry last night (yet again) — it was my 'Super Tuesday' of volunteer duties. I started the day at Print Arts NW (in the Pearl), then went to the downtown library, and from there, back to NW 18th and Quimby. I bussed in, so that was all on foot. Lunch had to fit in while I walked from the bus stop to Print Arts (yes, despite raising a very civilized kitty who sits very prettily while she eats, I eat while I walk). Dinner was while I was waiting for the other board members to show up for the meeting.

When that was all over at 9:30pm, the Good Prince picked me up and we went for the Random Movie of the week, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I got home 13 hours after I left the house in the morning, feeling pretty tired.

The movie was maybe just a tad on the long side, but really very good. Despite the subject matter and how it ended, I think it was a pretty uplifting movie.


gl. said...

i can't believe you did all that and -then- went to the movies! but i'm grateful to hear you senior project is working out better now. you can stop staring at the red panic button now, i hope! how many seniors do you need for the project?

fingerstothebone said...

I'm working with 6 seniors. I'm hoping to work with my American mom too, so that will be 7.