Thursday, February 14, 2008

Southridge talk

The 'big' day (where I had to get up at 6:30am) came and went. I managed to get out of bed at 6:30am as planned, I did down a cup of coffee, which really helped. Although I think the students and teacher at Southridge High are the judges of how the talk went, my perception was that it went well enough.

We got a slow start trying to figure out how to get the PC to work. I just had CD's of images, not in powerpoint, so it took a few minutes to get that worked out. My talk ended about 5 minutes before the class ended, and the students had a few minutes to handle the books. I would've liked a bit more time for them to handle the books, but that's how it goes. Most of the students gathered around to look through the examples I brought, so I took that to be a good sign.

By 9:30am, I was having my first lunch of the day. From there, it was my critique group meeting, and after that, it was time for my 2nd lunch.

Had to return the fabric samples today, but I took pictures. Here's Option A:



And Option B:



I know, I know, they're both horribly old lady like.

Although I said yesterday that my first favorite was much more favorite than the 2nd favorite, when I looked at them again in a different light (cloudier day), the difference wasn't so striking. Design wise, they're both really appropriate for a studio chair for me, the Persian miniature or the Chinese-y butterflies.

Opinions, anyone?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love renewal projects! Personally I'm crushin' on the Chinese-y butterflies. Flowing and free. But that's just my two cents...go with your instincts!

gl. said...

i think it depends on the room, but butterflies do seem to be consistently in your artistic vocabulary.

Bridget said...

Well, gotta say that my first take is this: the butterflies make the chair look softer . . . more inviting . . . more snuggle-in-able. Big chair criteria for me!

Anonymous said...

I vote for the butterfly for the same reason as gl. stated. I also think it's brighter, more noticeble. the Persian carpet is just a color blur, at least, that what the picture looks like on my computer.

Shumei

fingerstothebone said...

Wow, it's me against the world as far as upholstery goes!

My first impression, on a very sunny day — the Persian miniature just popped. Absolutely stunning! The butterflies were beautiful, but somehow paled in comparison.

On the next day, when it was cloudy, the miniature didn't quite pop so much.

Then I got the brilliant idea to take photos and stitch them together (there was only 1 square of each fabric, so I took 2 shots of each sample and made composites), and yes I agree, the butterfly seems much more flowy and comfortable. The miniature seems too regular and 'stiff.'

But, I'm still having a hard time deciding. I might check out the samples one more time. One thing that's on the back of my mind — the miniature actually looks beautiful as a pillow on the sofa in the living room. So I was thinking that I could put the chair in the living room and have a pillow made as well, and it would all hang together pretty well.