Friday, September 07, 2007

Artist community

Between getting a late start in the morning, the weight room, and more credit card research (which is starting to wear me down) today, I didn't get into the studio. Then this afternoon/evening was the benefit for Dawn McConnell, who's very ill with 4th stage lung and liver cancer. Many artists, particularly from Portland Open Studios donated art and bought art (Dawn participated in the PDX Open Studios for many years). I donated a framed rooster screen print, which went for almost $200 over the listed price(!), so I was really thrilled. I bought a framed screen print by Keane Rathbun and a necklace by Bonnie Meltzer. What I REALLY would have liked was this vanity painted by Dawn:



This was a vintage vanity that Dawn stripped and repainted. It's been in a few exhibits here and is much more lovely than the photo shows. I'll put up more information on the Portland Open Studios blog this weekend, along with images of her other painted furniture, and a painted bike (looks like a fixed gear or single speed bike, I can't tell the difference).

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

A super-easy alternative to having a direct credit card account would be a PayPal account, but only if you are thinking about selling online....

gl. said...

boy, i love that thing.