Saturday, September 29, 2007

No. 2 Experimental Gocco print, day 4

Last I left off, I was working on having words flow out of the center of volcano. But that looked too contrived so I scraped that. So here I'm still working pretty intuitively. I added the green 'goo' on the right, the red 'bubbles' oozing out to the left, and the orange 'smoke' coming out the middle:



Decided I liked the orange smoke, so more must be better, right?



Then I started to add the words. First, I wrote 'WORDS.' I did not have any idea what this was eventually going to say, it was completely make-it-up-as-I-go. Then I wrote 'MAKE.' At this point, I was thinking maybe 'make words, not war.' But eventually decided against it...I'm just not into political messages. Then I wrote 'ERUPT.' I was still thinking volcanos. And then for some reason, 'MAKE WORDS ERUPT LIKE A BIG CABBAGE ROSE' just seemed like the right thing to say.

Here I've gotten to 'MAKE WORDS ERUPT LIKE A.' I was planning to finish tonight, and I think I could've, except at 11pm, I got an email asking where my exhibit proposal for 2008 was! This is for an exhibit I'm putting together at the G&V Art Center in Hillsboro. There was a disconnect somewhere and I never received a date for a deadline, I don't think. Anyhow, that got me all in a frazzle! And realizing that I still have to pack for my weekend trip, and prepare to teach my class for when I get back from my trip, and I decided to bag it for the night.

So here's the print. I'll have to finish it when I get back, and after I get the proposal in the mail!

I have NOT flashed a new screen for this print at all. This is completely printed with 2 old screens where all the emulsions have been removed. All the words have been cut with self-adhesive stencils. The splotchiness was created by brushing pva on the screen, some of which came up after the first printing & cleaning, and is now left with this splotchy look. My plan is to complete this print without flashing a screen at all.



For the previous 3 days of experiments, see No. 2 Exp...., day 1, day 2, and day 3.

Oh right, the Tribune interview. It went ok. I'm not sure how interesting he found my work, but I certainly talked a lot (not sure if that's good or bad). The photographer took a lot of photos. So we'll see what happens. The article comes out Oct 9.

3 comments:

gl. said...

lettering with self-adhesive stencils! brilliant! i must try this.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading the interview. It seems like most of the arts/entertainment people are on the artist's side.

Michael5000 said...

"Make words erupt like a big cabbage rose" is as good a philosophy as any. It might be a good institutional motto too; I wonder how it sounds in Latin?