Wednesday, September 26, 2007

No. 2 Experimental Gocco print, day 2

So I'm still Just Playing at this point, don't really have any idea where I'm going with this. I do know that I wanted a 'light' area in the middle that has a orange glow on the inside. To get that started, I printed this magenta layer with the process magenta, and I hit it twice. I inked it up with the open screen, again, and just spread the ink on free-hand with a palette knife.



Ditto with the process yellow. Also printed twice. The 2nd layer just went on there, so I think that's the shine on there. Although, it's interesting that the 'shiny' parts correspond with the printed gray underneath. We'll see what it looks like once it dries tomorrow.



The rest of the day was playing with the new mailing list stuff again. Mike suddenly realized that I was going to pay $15/mo for Constant Contact and suggested that we could just run majordomo or mailman on our computer at home. Well, that works for me, especially since he's offered to set it up. So of course that means spending a few hours creating my own template and stuff.

The movie tonight was In The Valley of Elah, a moving story of how a war dehumanizes, but somehow the movie itself did not quite work for me. It focused so much on what a 'good soldier' Tommy Lee Jones's character was by showing him making the perfect bed, polishing his shoes, 'pressing' his pants against the table's edge, etc, etc, I started ticking off the items, oh yup, he's done that one...ok, and that one too.

4 comments:

Sundry said...

I've read some other reviews, too, that found this less than satisfying. Darn. I had high hopes for the director, cast and subject matter.

Fine film making is such a delicate process!

gl. said...

my webhost offers mailman, so i'm happy to use that. plus, i don't -have- to make people go through the double-conformation thing, which i personally hate. and i'm a little biased against html newsleters. it would be really nice to see the nifty newsletter stats you get with constant contact, but i don't know if it's $15/mo nice. :)

Michael5000 said...

This process is so.... layer-y. And exploratory.

One of the things I love about quiltmaking is the process of discovering what you are making through the process of making it. But this looks like that x1000.

fingerstothebone said...

Sundry -- I think the movie is still worth seeing, it was just hard for me to be really obsorbed by it, given the restrained performances by both Jones and Theron, and also as I complained about -- the seemingly checklist of stereotyped soldier behavior. I would still recommend it to others though. Now, I also want to see Dragon Wars and Resident Evil, and I'm sure The Valley is just TONS better!